The First Presbyterian Church of Gainesville was organized on June 6, 1879 as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., with nine charter members. The original church building was a two story structure at Main and Lindsay Streets. It was occupied on April 22, 1883. On February 1, 1906, a consolidation between the Cumberland and First Presbyterian Churches was consummated.
The Cornerstone of the current church building was laid on September 8, 1912 and gas lights were installed. The church was extensively remodeled and restored, from 1956 through 1959, and again in 1977.
Ninety three stained glass windows grace this beautiful building. The sanctuary design was based on the Akron plan popular at the time. A Celtic cross high atop the steeple bell tower denotes it's Presbyterian heritage and carillon music regularly rings from the steeple, reminding the community of spiritual aspirations.